Kylian Mbappe, a great footballer for France, will celebrate his 24th birthday on Tuesday, less than 48 hours after he made history by becoming only the second player to score a hat trick in a World Cup final. Mbappe did this against Croatia in the last match of the tournament. In Qatar, his hopes of becoming the youngest two-time champion since Pele in 1962 were dashed as Argentina overcame France. It was a bitter disappointment for him. Mbappe was able to conclude the competition with eight goals, which earned him the title of Golden Boot winner.
The following is a list of ten facts you should know about Kylian Mbappe:
1. Mbappe is now up to sixth on France’s list of all-time leading scorers with 36 goals, one behind Ballon d’Or winner Karim Benzema, whose absence in Qatar was eased by the brilliance of Mbappe. Mbappe has already broken the record for the youngest player to ever score 36 goals for France.
2. He has scored 12 goals in 14 matches in the World Cup, tying him for sixth place on the all-time record with Pele, the legendary Brazilian player.
3. He is just the second player in the history of the World Cup to score in consecutive championship games, after Vava, who scored in Brazil’s victories in 1958 and 1962.
4. Mbappe, who is a striker for the Paris Saint-Germain club that plays in Ligue 1, has scored 253 goals in 363 appearances for both club and nation. This is a total that is far higher than that of Messi and Ronaldo at the same age.
5. He was reared in Bondy, which is located on the outskirts of Paris, despite the fact that he was born in Paris on the 20th of December, 1998, to a family of immigrants. His mother is of Algerian Kabyle descent, while his Cameroonian father is a football coach and Mbappé’s agent. Mbappé’s father is originally from the African nation of Cameroon. She competed in handball at a high level.
6. Mbappe began his career as a football player in Brooklyn when he was only five years old. When he was a kid, he would accompany his father, who was a youth coach for his local club, AS Bondy, when he was a kid, and sit in on the team’s tactical conversations. As a consequence of this, he had the ability to quickly assimilate strategic knowledge very early on.
7. Mbapper, when he was a small child, looked up to the Portuguese footballer Cristiano Ronaldo as his hero and plastered pictures of Ronaldo all over his bedroom at home.
8. At the age of 23, he was already ranked among the highest-paid football players in the world by Forbes and was projected to receive a record yearly income of 128 million dollars.
9. Mbappe has given all of the money he made from playing in the FIFA World Cup 2018 in Russia to a foundation that helps children. According to reports, he walked away from the competition with close to half a million dollars in earnings.
10. It is well known that Mbappe has a deep affection for footwear. When he was a small child, he would beg his mother to get him the most recent pair of running shoes. “I used to weep to try to get my mother to alter her mind about not purchasing a certain model for me. According to what he said with Hypebeast in 2018, “sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn’t, so I went on to something new.”